Cisco Integrated Service Router Generation 2 (ISR G2) overview
Cisco ISR G2s are part of the Cisco Borderless Network Architecture that enables business innovation and growth across all remote sites. The next-generation architecture delivers a new workspace experience by meeting the performance requirements for the next generation of WAN and network services, enabling cost-effective delivery of high-definition collaboration at the branch office and providing secure transition to the next generation of cloud and virtualized network services. Designed for optimal service delivery on a single platform, the new Cisco ISR G2 routers give businesses greater power to deliver a superior customer experience and deploy services “on demand” as business needs dictate—while reducing overall operating costs.
The Cisco ISR G2 platform is a critical component of the Borderless Network Architecture that brings together networks, computing and applications, security, mobility, and collaboration services in a single, integrated platform.
Product lines of Cisco Integrated Service Router Generation 2
What Problems Do Cisco ISR G2s Help Solve?
With the number of employees growing at the branch office, IT teams are challenged to securely and efficiently connect remote locations at minimal cost. The Cisco ISR G2 not only addresses critical branch-office challenges such as those of the first-generation routers, they also introduce revolutionary ways to make the remote office more productive, more collaborative, and more operationally efficient. These new innovations enable branch offices to:
- Deliver next-generation WAN and network service requirements
- Become more productive through increased video-based collaboration and rich-media services
- Minimize energy consumption and costs to support corporate sustainability
What’s New on Cisco ISR G2?
|Cisco ISR||Cisco ISR G2|
|WAN Performance||Up to 45 Mbps with services||Up to 350 Mbps with services|
|Network Processor||Single||Multicore with future expandability|
|Service Module Performance and Capacity||1x with 160 GB||Up to 7x with dual core and 1-TB storage|
|Onboard DSPs||Voice only||Voice + Video-ready DSPs|
|Switch Modules||FE with PoE. Based on Catalyst 3750||FE/Gigabit Ethernet with POE+ Based on Catalyst 3560E/2950|
|IOS Image||Multiple images||Single Universal Cisco IOS Software image|
|Services Delivery||Hardware-coupled||Services On-demand|
|Redundancy||Single mother-Board||Field-upgradeable motherboard|
|Energy Efficiency||EnergyWise||EnergyWise with slot-based controls|
Why Upgrade Your Existing Access Router to a Cisco ISR G2 Router?
While significantly reducing operating costs, ISR declaration G2 delivers a performance up to 5 times higher than the previous generation’s devices – Cisco ISR routers. The exciting new innovations deliver the following:
- Video-ready branch office:
- Media engines that enable business-grade video applications based on high-density video-ready DSPs that deliver the media net high-definition experience
- Bandwidth-optimized and scalable video services, including media-rich video conferencing, video streaming, and digital signage
- High-performance (up to 8x), nonstop branch office experience to meet your future WAN and services requirements
- Telepresence capability to your midsize branch offices with T1/E1 links
- Service virtualization
- Broadest services offering to all branch office sites, including security, unified communications, WAN optimization, application integration, and customizable virtual services
- A revolutionary “on-demand” services delivery model enabled by the innovative Cisco Services-Ready Engine (SRE)
- Operational excellence provides the lowest total cost of ownership (TCO) with scalability.